wall is a filled in doorway that may have led to an internal gallery - again, Deerhurst in Gloucestershire is believed to have had a similar arrangement. The triple arch was added in the eleventh century..
The original church had a wall between nave and chancel with 2 arches and three doorways. It is believed that Brixworth may have been the first church to “screen” the chancel from the nave. The present chancel arch is c14 but the remnants of the original side arches can still be seen. These side arches led to a covered ambulatory below the level of but surrounding the original apse in which a holy relic may well have been kept. There is nothing remaining of the crypt to which this ambulatory would originally have led.
Today’s apse is polygonal externally and semi-circular within and was rebuilt in c19. In fact this was an act of restoration because the original apse had been replaced by a later rectangular chancel. The church on the north side is slightly disfigured by the addition of more modern windows, the westernmost from c14 and the easternmost from the 1863 alterations. There are still, however, Saxon clerestory windows on both sides of the church. There is a c13 Lady Chapel on the south side..
Brixworth is a simple church, uncluttered by modern “additions” and, mercifully, treated kindly by the Victorians. People have prayed here for 1300 years. This church is one of England’s most important and to visit it is to be transported back to the turbulent times when British Christianity was still in its early convulsions.